People tend to back away at the mere mention of Brussels sprouts. But trust me when I say that, when properly prepared, they are absolutely amazing. The rich and decadent recipe that I have prepared for you today will convert even the most stubborn Brussels sprout haters. Not only are they irresistibly delicious, garlic Brussels sprouts also pair well with almost any protein. And with fall and the holidays right around the corner, there is no better time to whip up this savory side dish!
To start, gather the following ingredients:
1lb of Brussels sprouts
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 fresh sage leaf, minced
2-3 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled for garnish
3 tbs salted butter
1 dash of pepper
(optional: red pepper flakes for heat)
Did you know that these mini cabbages are are commonly misspelled as Brussel sprouts? They are named after the Belgian city of Brussels. Thus the name Brussels sprouts!
- Start by cutting the Brussels sprouts in half. Cook until fork tender and set aside. I recommend boiling the Brussels sprouts in a medium sauce pan.
- In a medium cast iron skillet, cook the bacon according to the directions on the package or until crisp. For this recipe, I used smoked thick-cut bacon. Once cooled, crumble and set aside. Drain all but 1 tbs of the grease.
- On medium low heat add butter and allow it to melt before adding the diced shallots. Sprinkle with pepper and cook until translucent.
- Carefully add the Brussels sprouts to the skillet (there may be some splattering so be careful and add them slowly). Stir until coated, then flip each Brussels sprout until they are all cut-side-down in the skillet. Allow to cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally and then flipping back onto the cut side. My husband prefers this dish cooked well-done, so I tend to cook the mine for a bit longer than golden brown.
- Add garlic and sage and stir until coated. Cook until garlic is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with bacon crumbles and serve!
Take a bow, you are now officially everyone’s favorite person at the family potluck!